INAF – Catania Astrophysical Observatory offers the opportunity of stages on projects in the fields of Astronomy, Astrophysics or Space Sciences to undergraduate and graduate students of Italian or EU Universities. Interdisciplinary projects can also be proposed.
A list of the available projects is given below:
- Conda-python software development for diffuse nebulae photometry, optimized for the next generation telescope Vera C. Rubin Observatory Legacy Survey of Space and Time (LSST) [Tutor: Innocenza Busà (email@example.com)]
- ViaLactea Visual Analytics @ NEANIAS [Tutors: Eva Sciacca (firstname.lastname@example.org), Fabio Vitello (email@example.com)]
- Automated source finding in astronomical maps @ SKA and NEANIAS [Tutors: Simone Riggi (firstname.lastname@example.org), Eva Sciacca (email@example.com), Cristobal Bordiu (firstname.lastname@example.org)]
- ML / DL for Astrophysics @ SKA and NEANIAS [Tutors: Simone Riggi (email@example.com), Eva Sciacca (firstname.lastname@example.org), Carmelo Pino (email@example.com)]
- Compilation of a catalogue of stellar parameters for the study of planets in extrasolar systems [Tutor: Gaetano Scandariato (firstname.lastname@example.org)]
- Overview analysis of the stellar activity of a sample of stars selected for the search for extrasolar planets [Tutor: Gaetano Scandariato (email@example.com)]
- Experimental investigation of the effects of energetic processing on ice mixtures relevant to astrochemistry and astrobiology [Tutor: Maria Elisabetta Palumbo (firstname.lastname@example.org)]
For more information, potentially interested students can contact the researcher (tutor) responsible for each specific project. Questions on organizational and administrative aspects can be directed to Dr. Daniela Recupero at email@example.com.
All projects will be conducted remotely until the end of the sanitary emergency due to the CoViD pandemic.